Monday, November 30, 2009

Civic Duty

On Saturday night, I met up with my jolly buddy Felipe at an Irish pub in Fairfax called "The Auld Shebeen". It's one of my favorite spots in Old Town Fairfax. You know why? Because they're very discerning about who they let inside (no Italians). Felipe had never been there before but, laughing like a bowl full of jelly, he said he would put it in his navigation system.

Well, imagine my surprise when I get a call from Felipe saying that he's lost. Apparently, Google doesn't have the bar correctly listed in its mythic system of inter-tubes. If you search for The Auld Shebeen, you'll find a listing ("Now Guido-Free!") with the correct address. And if you type that raw address without the title of the establishment into Google Maps, it will properly display the location. But if you type in "The Auld Shebeen, Fairfax, VA" Google Maps suddenly has a series of seizures (much like my cousin, may he rest in peace) and decides to throw the location in the middle of a residential neighborhood like 2 miles away. Here's proof:


View Larger Map

Anyways, I found this to be unacceptable, so I used Google Maps error reporting feature and informed them of this grievous error. I will keep you posted on any developments. You can send your letters and cards of appreciation to my new address in Vienna. Yes, I have moved from my awesome pad in Arlington. I have a couple of new roommates now. They're a little older than me, but generally ok people.

No comments: