Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Accidental Creepster...

There’s a cute girl who sits in a block of cubicles on the other side of the big engineering bay where I work. Believe me, this is a rarity in The Company (apparently). At the very least, I would be content making a friend and having someone to talk to when work gets slow.

I had the perfect, convenient excuse to introduce myself to her. The employees in my bay are organized into clusters of six cubicles each. I refer to them as “cube farms.” As it happens, I had to ask a work question from one of the people in her farm. So I could pop over there with valid work business, and quickly worm my way into her heart.

We have an IM client at work that displays an employee’s status. That way, people can see if you’re at your desk, or in a meeting, or on travel. So I planned to use that for it’s (kind of) intended function, and just check if she was there before I go ask my question. What I DIDN’T know was that the IM client will notify the person if you add them as a friend on your buddy list. So I threw her name into my list, saw she was there, and started walking over to ask my question.

I’m just around the corner when I hear her ask “Who is this Connor Dolan?!” in a puzzled exclamation to her other cube farmers.

So then I ran away.

Of course, the worst part is that I still have to ask the other person in her cube farm my work question. But I don’t want to introduce myself to him if they think I’m a random creepster! *Sigh.* All I wanted was a friend, and instead I’m going to end up with a restraining order…

2 comments:

reanbug said...

hahahah that is hilarious. and very sad. they should be using the awesome program i know as lotus notes.

reanbug said...

hahahah that is hilarious. and very sad. they should be using the awesome program i know as lotus notes.