Friday, June 4, 2010

No Dream Finer Than a Dreamliner

Today was a fairly fantastic day at work. I got to walk around in the Boeing factory (the largest building in the world) and inspect all their airplanes production lines up close. The planes are built in an assembly line, with them all lined up nose to tail.

Anyways, Boeing is coming out with this hyper-advanced passenger plane called the 787 Dreamliner. It's quite badass, and not even available for purchase yet. But since I'm kind of a big deal here, I got to walk inside and crawl around the engineering bay of one while it was being built! It was an engineer's hot steamy dream. I even got to peek my head inside the cabin and look out the flight window while making cool airplane sounds. The technicians thought I was a mentally handicapped person on a tour. One told me that this was a special plane that I might get to fly on one day. I gave him a big smile and declared that I was a big boy and allowed to ride on planes all by myself!

I bet you're wondering about some of the more intricate design aspects of the 787 Dreamliner. I'm not supposed to do this, but I got my hands on some very classified engineering documents that I'll upload just for you:


I wish I could explain this schematic to you in more detail, but it really is quite technical and I'm afraid (quite frankly) that it's over your head. Get an engineering degree and then we'll talk.

No comments: