Wednesday, June 23, 2010

In my younger and more vulnerable years...

I have a work notebook where I track all my projects and important items. I'm very proud of it because I keep it well organized and have neat handwriting. I can't wait for the day my child gleefully brings their first report card home from school and asks to hang it on the refrigerator, so I can gently tell them:

"No, that's where Daddy dispays his first Boeing work notebook."

then snatch the report card from their delicate, quivering hands and tear it up in front of them as punishment.

Even though I started at "The Company" in May, I didn't get "The Notebook" and make my first entry until June 7th. I was so eager to once again become a cog in a soulless corporate machine, that I used insane, over-the-top "industry speak" to record simple ideas.

For example, I needed to find out how my manager was going to assign me new tasks and projects.

Simple concept.

But this idea was logged into my notebook as "Touch base w/ Leo to establish procedures for assignments and path forward."

What?! That doesn't even make sense! Haha, oh June 6th Connor. You were so eager to impress. So young and naive. How times have changed! I look back at myself in those days and realize what a cold, bitter man I have become.

No comments: