Monday, May 31, 2010

Age before beauty

Several of my new friends at Boeing are a bit younger than me. To be perfectly honest, the majority of them are summer interns and barely 21. Whereas I am turning the corner to 27 this upcoming July. Apparently I don't look my age, because I've gotten a lot of questions from people asking me one of the following three questions:
  1. Am I still in college?
  2. Is this my first job?
  3. Have I hit puberty yet?
Of course, the answer to all of these questions is a resounding "NO!"

So this past weekend, I was hanging out with Sean and Sammy when we got word of a house party in downtown Seattle. Feeling that the night was young, we sprang into action and drove over there. Once inside, it became apparent that I was the oldest person in the room.

A really drunk, petite asian girl (let's assign her a fake Americanized name like "Susan") stumbled up to me.

Susan: Wait. Who are you?
Me: I'm Connor.
Susan: Are you an intern?
Me: No, I was recently hired as a full-time employee.
Susan: Seriously? How old are you? You're lying to me.
Me: I thought your kind was known for respecting their elders?

I'm so good at saying the right thing.